According to Google, Swimming in Cold Water has many benefits:
- It boosts your immune system.
- It gives you an endorphin high.
- It enhances your circulation.
- It increases your libido.
- It burns more calories.
- It reduces stress.
Safe to say, it makes you numb, a funny colour red, gives you pins and needles and makes you slightly screech! I can however, vouch that it definitely makes you feel alive and fascinatingly refreshed!
I’ve also been told that a friend of a friend started swimming in cold water to help her stop terrible menopausal symptoms. So, if you are a woman in the early stages of menopause (not that I am), this may be of help?
If you’re wondering why on earth I came up with the idea of getting in the freezing water in March. Well, I made the decision after coming across a group called “Gower Blue Tits”whose purpose is to get together and go for a cold swim. I couldn’t join them so I joined them in spirit.
24thMarch, No wetsuit but the sun was shining.
Swimming in Cold Water has many benefits:
- My legs went numb within 2 minutes
- I turned a funny colour (red/orange)
- I was slightly short of breath
- When I came out and went back in, it felt really warm! (Worth doing!)
- I was not cold at all when I came out of the water
- It does make you feel really good! I was exhausted later on, so it probably does burn a lot of calories!
If you’re thinking of giving it a go: make sure you go somewhere safe, don’t go alone and don’t stay in too long!
P.S. Tip: Wear a hat!
And enjoy, have a laugh, it’s quite good fun!